Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SweetsXSW - Pt. 1

Last night I returned home at 1am from a long-awaited return to SXSW in Austin, TX.  Maybe it was the sunny 80 degree weather, or maybe it was the unlimited awesome food and shopping choices, but everything about the trip had me wanting to move there.

First off - I LOVE KC, but we need to get on the food cart/trailer trend NOW! 

I will admit that I was skeptical of all the Food Network-induced hype over food carts, but the way it was done in Austin was really cool and made me a believer.  My favorite part of the whole trip was the discovery of the South Austin Trailer Park and Eatery.   It was a totally unexpected representative of what I think the trend should be about:  a designated spot for 3-4 trailers to park and sell their respective foods in an outdoor food court type of setting.  It is perfect for a group of friends that can't come to a concensus on where to eat!

There were picnic tables available in the shade of a giant tree lit with Christmas lights at night, and there was even a newly-converted warehouse structure with more "traditional" seating, TV's, beer sales, shuffle boad, and foosball!  What more do you need on a warm summer night?  I really wish I had got some photos at night.  my bad.
the picnic tables -daytime
Within the trailer park were 3 food options.  I chose Torchy's Tacos for lunch AND dinner on Saturday and The Holy Cacao for dessert. 


Holy Cacao's specialty is the trendy "cake ball".  This is also a fad of which I have been skeptical because I am NOT a fan of the texture you often get when DIPPING desserts in "chocolate" that needs to harden.  I often find it to be waxy and AWFUL.  I'm not sure if Holy Cacao just uses higher quality ingredients or what, but the result was REALLY yummy and un-waxy.  I chose the "Wedding Ball" and the "Diablo Ball" - see menu here

I also love the Ganesh/cow mascot.  really cute.

I really think they might have just started the business so they could get away with talking about "balls" all the time.  *giggle*

Right now I will get back to daydreaming about starting a trailer park in KC with the Record Bar, Eden Alley, and Fresher Than Fresh Snow Cones. 

Tomorrow - cupcakes and cookies, Austin style.

1 comment: